no regrets

jordan - baldwin, Illinois

No Regrets

People run from there fears every day. Some people let there fears control there life. Then when they are old and on the edge of there grave they realize they wasted there whole life running and not enough time appreciating the beauties of life and chasing there dreams. They let their fears get in the way of accomplishing tasks. Many people have wanted to climb a mountain but were scared of heights, dive in the ocean but were scared of drowning, or ask a girl to prom but was scarred of being turned down. Life is too short to run away from everything and live with regrets. I realized this one day as I was making brownies with my mom.

It was the beginning of my senior career. Homecoming was right around the corner, I had no date, and there was no way I was going to go and be the loser in the crowd with no one to dance with and not only that, I had no idea how to dance. As I continued to tell this to my mother my problem she cut in with a life changing story. She began to tell me how she never went to a single dance in all her high school career but instead sat at home bored. She said if she had everything to do over she would do so much different. It was at that moment that I realized I don’t ever want to have regrets. I don’t want to have to look back and see what all I missed out on. I realized I could go to homecoming and have fun and look like a loser, or I can sit at home alone and be a loser. I started reflecting on my life up to that point and I realized I had already done some things that I regret such as not playing basket ball in grade school for the fear of messing up and not knowing the rules. Asking that girl to a date for the fear of being rejected. Letting people walk all over me for the fear of getting beat up. So it was at this point that I decided to not let the fear of messing up prevent me from doing anything that I want to do, after all, I’m only human. Everybody makes mistakes and nobody is perfect.

Therefore I believe in living your life to the fullest and treat every day as if it was your last. Its ok to be scared but just don’t let your fears control you. If you face your fears and go about your life and do what you want, you can’t have any regrets.