The Transition of Public to Private

felicia - rialto, California

Ever since kindergarten I have been attending the public schools. I have never gone to an Adventist school which my mother wanted my brother and me to have but things came up and she decided to keep us in the public school society. Most of the Adventist I know criticized public school through out my years in that environment. The thing is that they don’t know what it is like to be in a public school. I know it’s a different environment but it’s not as bad as it looks like. I’ve learned so much things and notice what I’m strong at by attend public schools.

I experience with many things when I attended public schools. In grade school I met people who doesn’t have any religious faith or have a different Christian perspective than me. It was pretty interesting to have friends that are different background than me. I remember when I was in grade school my mother always tell me before school begins to not eat anything that contain pork. Since my school district are popular on serving food that contain pork, many of my friends always asked me why don’t I eat pork, pepperonis or anything contain a product of pigs. It was really hard for me to tell the reason why but at that time I didn’t really know why I can’t eat it. From grade school to middle school many of my friends invited me to their party which most of the parties are held during Saturdays, which mean the Sabbath for me. It was difficult to tell them that I can’t go at all. Eventually I would tell them the reason why and beside my religious belief I would also say that my mother won’t let me go at all for no reason.

Growing up in a place where a few people believe in the same faith as me had made me realized how strong I am as a young lady. It shows me that I can be in a crowd of people who are very different. After I graduated from high school I decided to attend an Adventist college. The reason why I decided to attend an Adventist college is because I would like to experience my beliefs college and meet others with the same background belief as me. It was very strange to attend the school due to the transition and how everyone knows everyone some how.

I was afraid that I won’t make any friends but the good thing about being a freshman in college is that the school have special program that will help students meet others who are new to the school. I was happy that I met my best friend. We click from the start it was a shocker because my mother was terrified that I wont met anyone. I remember when I asked my parents to go home and told them that I’ll be fine. After a year in pacific union college I have met so many friends that I could keep my whole entire life.

In conclusion, I know that there isn’t any different with public and private schools. I have learned that being in the public school had made me become a stronger person and could face the real world. Having the experience in a private institution as in the Adventist world had made me realized that I have found the people who are my friends for life rather than my friends from public schools.