The Value of a Positive Influence in Life

Anne - Wichita, Kansas

I believe that the importance of life is not about what I become, but about whom I become. Of course, my future is extremely important, but it is not the only goal out there. Too many times, I get stuck working toward my goals for the future and do not stop to think about the other important factors of life. I believe that the value of my life is determined by the positive impact I have on the lives of others. I believe that this is what will determine my happiness throughout life.

I first saw the importance of this when I was seventeen-years-old. One night, my brother, Pat, left the house to get me some aspirin. After he left, he was encountered by a man who attempted to rob him. He did not rob my brother’s money, but instead robbed him of his greatest possession, his life.

In dealing with my grief, I had many memories spiraling through my mind of Pat. I realized that I was not only experiencing the loss of my brother, but also the loss of the kindest, the most caring, and understanding person, I had ever met. I had lost a really great friend. I was very lucky to have such a good friend in my own brother, and I had not truly thought about how much he meant to me and the importance he played in my life. He was always there for me through anything, even if it was just to listen to me. He was always positive. I can’t remember a time when he really let some situation get the better of him.

When thinking about my brother and his life, I came to realize that the meaning of life is not pointless, which I had first thought after this traumatic loss. It is what I make of it, and my

impact that I make on others’ lives that is important. I think that this is what made Pat such a happy person. He was always doing good for others, which in turn made him feel good about himself. He did not live his life for himself, rather, he lived it for others.

After this realization, I decided that I wanted to be as much like Pat as I could. I wanted to make others feel good the way that he did. Everyone needs someone they can come to, under any circumstance, and I want to be that person for those that I love.

From that day on, I have tried my best to be that positive impact that other people need. My only hope in life, is that when I have passed on, I can look back and know that I helped to make life better for those around me. I have learned a valuable lesson from my brother, Pat, and I intend to use it and learn from it for the rest of my life.