I Believe in Miracles

Katie - Galax, Virginia

I believe there are miracles in our lives every day. That tractor trailer that missed your car by two inches, that day you were running late and missed a huge traffic accident on your way to work, that breath that you thought might be your last but then something changed your life forever, the time you lost someone that you didn’t think you could live without but found the strength to pull through… coincidence…luck….or a miracle through God? Every day we go through tough situations and have trying times with family, friends, or co-workers, but our lives would not be complete without these people. Every day that we are here on this earth is a gift from God and a miracle that we are living.

I believe that I am a miracle. When my mother was pregnant with me she had some very difficult times. When she would go to get checkups for her pregnancy the doctors would always have some kind of news that was negative. One doctor even said that I would have Down syndrome. She said that the test had always been accurate and there was no chance that I would be born without this disease. She even encouraged my mother to have the pregnancy terminated. Through my mother’s strong faith she said that she would not do that and said that she would have me. About two and a half months before she should be in labor my mother said that she started having labor pains; she called the doctor’s office and told them what was happening. They tried to say that it was nothing and she should just relax and call back if she had any more problems. Later that night she was still having the same pain, so my father took her to Twin County Regional Hospital. The nurses there said that it was probably nothing but to have a seat and wait for the doctor. As soon as the doctor walked in he said that my mother was in labor, but two and a half months early. He knew that we would be unable to stay at this hospital so he sent my mother in a helicopter to Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Later I was delivered through a C-section, but when delivered I wasn’t breathing so they rushed me out of the room and into a special care unit for premature babies. I weighed only 2 pounds and 10 ounces and was only 13 inches long.

I stayed at Roanoke Memorial Hospital for 65 days in an incubator and hooked up to a heart monitor. My parents would come to visit me in the hospital a few times a week and hold me, feed me, and bathe me. Thanks to their love and support I am where I am today. I am a healthy 18 year old with a loving family, great friends, and a wonderful life. Without the love of God I definitely would not be in this world today, by all scientific means I shouldn’t be standing here today.

I truly believe in miracles, they are always there when you need them. I know that God will always be there for you when you need Him or call on Him. Your answer may not always be what you expect it to be or be at the exact time you think it should be, but it is all in God’s plan and he knows what is best for you. It may seem like at times that God is not with you but trust me he is there and will be with you through everything. If you ask him to be with you and take care of you, he will. This is what I believe.