Allison - Jacksonville, Illinois

Several years ago, I learned I was not exactly an only child. I, of course, already knew about my mom’s son, Michael, whom she had given up for adoption when she was around my age, but I really had never felt any ties to him. He was gone…private adoption, no contact. However, when I heard about my dad having two other daughters, Brandy, who is in her mid-twenties and Lauren, who is only about seventeen, I got excited. I had a little more hope in contacting them than my brother, but to this day, I never have spoken a word to either of them.

I believe in sisterhood. Just because I don’t have any blood sisters, at least that I have contact with, doesn’t mean I don’t have sisters. They’re all around me, standing with open arms. Or sitting. The point is, they’re all there to catch me when I fall, to dry my tears, to inspire me, to acknowledge my problems, to make my day.

Some “sisters” are my sisters through Christ. They help me interpret the Word of the Lord and teach me how to be a better Christian. Other “sisters” are friends and acquaintances and even though I really haven’t known most of them for very long, it seems as if we can talk about anything and they can just about always brighten my day. I believe each “sister” is unique and has God-given qualities to benefit the world.

My mom always used to tell me to “be nice to my sister,” but I never really understood. The person she was talking about was her boyfriend’s daughter, Taylor, and we were nowhere close to being related. We fought like cats and dogs for years, never laying a hand upon one another, breaking down each others self-esteem and the “sisterhood” that was supposed to be there. However as time progressed, Taylor and I both grew up and learned some serious life lessons. In the end, both of us came to the point in our lives where we realized we needed each other more than ever and since then, we’ve been “tight like spandex”.

“Both within the family and without, our sisters hold up our mirrors: our images of who we are and of who we can dare to become.”

-Elizabeth Fishel