The HObby That Heals

Holly - Louisville, Kentucky

Many people have hobbies, whether it’s basketball, sewing, or even watching football with buddies. My hobby is not just for entertainment but it can affect others too. This leads me to my opening statement, I, Holly G believe whole heartedly in horseback riding.

Yes, I have to say it is fun but there’s sub subjects to the word “fun”. For example, jumping, just the thought of it gets your heart racing. Flying through the air nothing stopping or holding you back. The adrenaline rush is the best. You never know when the horse will buck, rear or if he will even jump the jump.

Racing. First thing that comes to mind is the Kentucky derby, people hollering, the sounds of hoof beats, hats can be spotted as far as the eye can see. Racing. It gathers people from all over to come together. Racing. It can be saddening, watching a horse skip a beat and plummet to the ground. Racing.

As I gallop around the ring it seems as if me and my horse become one. My heart starts pounding to the rhythm of his hooves. Everything goes blurry, its only me and my horse.

When I put aside the “fun factor” you find the therapeutic part of horseback riding. Every Wednesday and Friday my mom drives me to Greenhill Therapy so I can volunteer. At Greenhill, disabled children go and attend a session with a therapist. Also the kids ride horses for half an hour long session.

My first time there I met a boy as I was guiding the horse he was riding. He was bubbling over with enthusiasm. Later that day I found out that all kids there have unique stories about them. The boy I met that day had a heart wrenching one that needs to be told to an audience.

The boy’s name is Ethan and when he was 5 years old his mom died of a drug overdose, but even before that his mom did want anything to do with him, to her he was just a mistake and no one knows who his dad was. His mom effected him drastically. Ethan’s Grandparents stepped in and were granted custody of him after his mom passed away. He was effected mentally because of what he had to deal with his whole life and would not talk. His Grandparents decided to take him to Greenhill Therapy. After a year of intense speech therapy and horseback riding he talked for the first time in a year. Now he is the most talkative and outgoing kid I know. Ethan showed great strength and proves no matter how bad things get, they will always get better.

He is a role model for all people that know him. I hope now you understand why horseback riding is my life and is such a unique hobby.