Helping hand

kyle - beaverton, Oregon

This I believe Essay

I believe every person should lend a helping hand. Many people are not as fortunate as others in this world. People who have the ability to help should do so. The kid in Africa who hasn’t eaten in days could use that extra dollar. Anything would help. I learned a valuable lesson from my father.

This past year my father contributed a large amount of money to our school fundraiser for children who were in need of help. I would have to say my dad paved the way for my thoughts. Before he sat down and told me his opinion about children in great need of certain things, I never really thought anything about it. Growing up it was never my life philosophy to “help” people. I soon changed quickly after this talk with my father. Not a day goes by in my life when I do not think about the needy children out there. I still donate money to my high schools leader ship class for their yearly fundraiser.

My opinion quickly changed about actually caring about people who aren’t that fortunate. On the way home from PSU everyday I see countless homeless people. It truly strikes a hurt in my heart. I imagine if I were in their shoes, what would I do? Over winter break during the snowstorm I encountered a man sitting outside of the local blockbuster, who looked absolutely miserable. I went back inside the store and bought him a coke and a bag of chips. Obviously it’s not that much but my point is that every little thing counts. I just wish that everyone would start caring about the people who need help.