Piecing Myself Together, Piece by Piece.

Trisha - Chesterfield, Missouri

After buying a small, plain notebook, I began filling its crisp white pages and never ending blue lines with quotes that I found each day. Whether I was in the line at the grocery store or I was reading a library book, powerful quotes always seemed to find me. The quotes that filled these pages soon began filling my bedroom walls as well. Anytime I got into difficult circumstances, a quote I had stared at on my bedroom wall would help me.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or in other words, I am Mormon. Being a Mormon never seems to be easy because we always stick out. At times I have even been scared to throw my trash away at lunch because I thought that someone would make fun of my religion. Other times, I was afraid to go to class because I was scared that my teacher would mock my beliefs in front of everyone.

Coming home from a rough day at school, I remember sitting on my bed with a steady stream of tears flowing down my face thinking: Why can’t I be like everyone else? Why am I different, and why does everyone seem to notice? Just when I was beginning to feel ashamed of being a Mormon, I saw Ian Wallis’ quote written on a bright purple piece of paper on my wall: “Why are you trying so hard to fit in, when you were born to stand out?” I will never forget these words. With a new resolve, I determined that even though people might judge me, I will stand up for what I believe to be true.

Each person has unique characteristics that resemble a puzzle. Each characteristic is an individual puzzle piece. Together those pieces make up a puzzle: you. No one can judge your puzzle. You create it, and you should be proud of it. Because of those words that day, I am no longer ashamed of who I am. I will stick out. I am different, and I am ok with that. Each person was made to stick out.