I Believe in Wicca

Jenni - Orlando, Florida

Ask a stranger what Magick is. Most people I ask reference Hollywood movies, love spells, or dragons. Thanks to Hollywood, most people do not consider Magick for what it is; an integral part of a religion called Wicca. Instead, it has become popular belief that Wicca is something meant for the savages of the past; a combination of sex rituals, polytheism, and Witchcraft. Many appear to combine these traits to create something “evil.” History will show that Wicca, commonly referred to as “paganism,” was never evil. It was made to be evil by the Catholic Church who developed a fear of being defeated by the general population. I’m writing this to give hope to others out there like me.

When I was 12 I came to the realization that the life I was living wasn’t the life I wanted to lead. Although my family went to church, I didn’t feel a special sacredness in our life. It appeared that my parents’ only connection to their faith was to remind me of the respect-your-parents commandment. Additionally, I felt disconnected with the monotonous routine taking place in my church. I believed religion was something you not only felt a connection to, but consistently found exciting and incredible. My life felt incomplete.

I branched out on my own. Writing out a list of what I believed in, I avoided church, and read as many books on different religions I could find. After months of searching, I had come up with nothing. I actually believed there was just no religion for me; that I was out of luck. And then…Wicca. A religion based on the individual; where I could believe whatever I wanted, where I would never be judged, and where worship combined with nature to elicit the most incredible unity ever perceived. Wicca is not completely without rules, though. There is one: Do what thou will, but harm none.

I believe in Wicca. Wicca has a power, a power to unite. Wicca’s core concept is uniting oneself with nature and with others around us. Considering this, I ponder all the wonderful things we could do to make our lives, and lives of humans and animals around us, better if we simply band together. We could save species of animals, stop global warming, make sure that not one more child starves…it’s sad to think of the things we could do, and yet the sheer number of people who are afraid of Wicca thanks to Hollywood and other religious institutions.

I want to help people realize that Wicca is not about frog’s breath and eye of newt. I want to help them understand that Wicca is a real religion – and it is there whether they want it to be or not. I know that I will continue trying to help people understand the true meaning and power of Wicca, as well as help those who already know – and I realize that I have already succeeded. I believe in Wicca.