This I believe

Matthew - Rapid City, South Dakota
Themes: work

Hard work and dedication will get you anywhere. I believe that if you work hard and are dedicated you can accomplish anything. The reason that I believe that is because of my twelve year-old season of majors. We were playing a team called the Sportsters, and they were our rivals. I was up to bat with three balls and two strikes. A kid named Trace Stecklar was pitching and he was the fastest pitcher in the league at the time was pitching. When he pitched it was like trying to hit a bullet with a stick. When he threw the ball I swung and missed.

The next couple of weeks before our next game against that same team I worked really hard and was dedicated to the game of baseball. Everyday and all day all I could do was think about and visualize my self hitting that third pitch off of Trace. During practice I would get all of my mechanics correct s then when that day would come I would be able to hit anything.

As I predicted that day did come and I was ready as ever. That game we had been battling back and forth with the lead. I was starting to get mad at myself because I hadn’t his anything all game. It was my turn to bat I had waited for he whole lineup to either strike out or get on base one way or another.

It was my turn to bat there were runners on second and third and it was the bottom of the sixth with two out and a full count, or three balls and two strikes. I was as nervous as a cat walking trough an alley of hungry dogs. As he threw the pitch, as if I was swinging a club, I swung the bat and I hit the ball. When I dropped the bat it was as if I heard the bat say “Good Job.” When I hit it felt like I was the “Great Bambino” a.k.a. Babe Ruth himself. So I ran as if I was on fire to first and second. I rounded second base and I noticed that there was an over throw so I quickly ran to third and shortly after that came home. I slid and it felt as though I slid through a pile of broken glass. For a moment I thought I heard the catcher’s glove say safe but I realized that it was the umpire. I was safe and I felt as if I was being lifted into heaven.

There are many different beliefs in the world. I believe that hard work and dedication will get you anywhere. The reason that I believe this is because I was mad at myself for striking out the first time so I worked had and I was dedicated to the game and in the end I succeeded. What do you believe?