The Power of Love

Amneris - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Themes: love

I believe in the power of love.

I remember a lot of moments where things have changed by the power of love. One time I had the opportunity to know a girl, whose name was Glenda Liz. She and I became good friends. We always talked about things that happened to us, but we never talked about our parents. One day she told me, “When one has love, you don’t need anything more.” At that time I didn’t understand why she said that. Another day she told me that she didn’t live with her real parents, and that she didn’t know who they are. Then she told me that she was the happiest girl in the world even though she doesn’t live with her real parents. She has a wonderful family that loves and takes care of her. Also, she told me that at the age of 5 years old she was adopted. Since the day that she was adopted, her life has changed because that day she realized what it was to have a family and felt that someone loved her. That day I understood that love can change and transform our lives.

I always ask myself how can there be people that can’t believe that love can change someone’s life. Every day you can see situations where love has been the tool that has changed the way of thinking and acting of a person.

I can see the power of love all the time in different ways. The love of God is a perfect example of the power of love. In the movie “A Walk to Remember,” Jamie says: “His Love is like the wind. I can’t see it, but I can feel it.” The love of God transformed me, he teaches me to love others and respect their opinions and the way they think. Also his loves shows me that a hug could give a person strength, a smile could erase sadness and a word of strength could change your way of thinking. Years ago I experienced a hard situation where I could see the love of God. In April, of 1999 I lost a special person. This person was my uncle Alejandro. He was nice person. Every morning he went to the bakery and bought bread and donuts. Then he would pass by my house to give me them. We shared a lot of beautiful moments. The day that he dies was the worst day of my life. I was very sad. I could not imagine how my life would be now that he wasn’t there. In that moment I saw the love of God. A lot of friends went to my house and gave me big hugs and words of strength. Some of them told me “One day you are going to see your uncle again, and that day you will be together forever.” That day I understood that you can see the love of God by the people around you. He sent people to show us his love. The love of God for us is big and he wants that you and I share his love. The Bible says: Love is patient and Kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love bears all things, believes all things, overcomes all things, and endures all things.

I think there’s nothing in the world that love can’t conquer. Love makes you apologize and teaches you to forgive. It makes you act differently in difficult moments. It helps you to make better decisions in life. There was an occasion, at the age of thirteen years old, when I met a special person. This person would always tell me that I was different from other girls, but one day I asked him why he says that to me. He said: “It would be very difficult for me to forgive a friend that betrays me”. Two days before he says that, I was having a bad experience with my friend Iliany. She and I had to do an essay for the exam. When I went to school, she asked me for my essay so she could look at it. A while later, we went to class and took the exam. The next day the teacher gave us back the exams with our grades. Then she called my friend and me and told us that we had flunked the test. For her we had copied from one another, because we had the same things written in our essay. We didn’t sit together. In that moment I remembered that in the morning I had shown my essay to my friend Illiany. I walked out of the classroom feeling really sad because I couldn’t believe that for the first time I got a U in my test and more or less because of my friend’s fault. The next day Iliany asked me aren’t you mad at me? I felt a little sad but I’m not mad at you, because you’re my friend and I love you. I would not permit that an error that anyone could commit, break our friendship.

That day I understood why my friend Carlos told me “it was difficult for me to forgive someone that betrays me.” It’s difficult, but when someone has love, that love makes and helps you forgive.” I believe that love changes and transforms our lives. Love makes you see, talk and think differently. I believe in the power of love. I believe that love brings happiness to our lives.

A native from Puerto Rico, A.S. was president of the Youth Asociation “Jovenes Vencedores” of the Baptist Church in Puerto Rico . Now she lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where she attends Templo de Restauracion Church. She is a student of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.