This I Beleive

Corby - Rapid City, South Dakota

Many people have different philosophies when it comes to how to live your life. I believe that God is always reliable during the most feared times in your life. I can always rely on God to back me up in scary times.

I remember when I was in the seventh grade. When I found out we would be going on a vacation to Mexico, I immediately froze like an ice cube. For the next couple months I felt as uncomfortable as the princess while sleeping on the pea. I had been on airplanes before, but it had been a while. So just the thought of being on one made me freeze. I had many thoughts that most people would think to be ridiculous race through my head. I thought of the plane falling out of the sky, crash landing, getting struck by lightning, and many other crazy things. I was as nervous as I had ever been to go on that airplane.

I thought of all the fun stuff my family and I would be able to do once we got to Mexico such as swimming in the ocean, running on the beach, drinking smoothies, watching the ocean tiptoeing upon the sand, playing in the sand, snorkeling, feeding the fish, getting a tan, playing beach games, the warm wind dancing across the water, soaking up the sun; but none of these wonderful activities were enough to convince me to fly to Mexico. I even tried to convince my mom to drive me to Mexico, but obviously that was out of the question.

I finally was set on staying home with my grandparents while my family went on an amazing vacation and had a wonderful time, without me. I was beginning to accept this idea when my mom wanted the choice to be up to me, but she was going to do all she could to try and convince me to go on this ‘family’ trip. She felt that the trip would not be the same without everyone. She knew this trip is important.

One day, my mom shocked me and told me that she had set up an appointment with a therapist for me to visit weekly to help me cope with my feelings towards airplanes. I was really upset, but looking back, I think it was one of the best things she could have done for me. I saw my therapist once a week for a couple months. She was my savior! She helped me to express my feelings, and deal with them. I would come out of her office every time feeling more and more excited for the trip.

Before the plane took off, I was so nervous! I prayed over and over to God asking for His guidance. I know he worked through my mom, my family, my therapists, and many other people who helped me overcome one of my largest fears. I know he is always there for me, and works through the people around me to comfort me when times get rough.