I Believe in Not Taking Life Too Short

Malik - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: death

In March of 2009 Lisa died. She was 38 when she passed. I was just outside down the street when my aunt and my three little cousins came over. My mom was yelling at me to come home, so I did. My cousins greeted me at the door when I came in. The oldest one is four, the second one two, going on three, the youngest one is just a baby.

When I was still outside my mom told me that Lisa, my cousin’s wife’s sister, was found dead. I was shocked-my mouth wide open. Hours went by and my older cousin and my uncle came over after they were at the apartment where she died. They told us that when they went to the apartment, they wanted to visit Lisa, but she didn’t answer. She was dead. This was a sad moment; my two little cousins asked, “Where is Auntie?”

My aunt, their grandma said, “In heaven”. My older cousin left. That’s my three little cousins’ dad. He went to go help his wife and the family.

Days went by. We were at Lisa’s apartment. I was with my cousin James. He was singing. My mom came in and asked, “Are you going to sing ‘It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday’ by Boys to Men?” My mom started crying. James was going to sing at the rosary.

The day of the rosary was heart-breaking. There were about a hundred people there. I saw my cousin James cry for the first time; that was crazy.

When it all started Lisa’s stepdad spoke. Her mom and my little cousin Dyven who is four said to her stepdad, “When it’s my time to die, will I see Lisa?”

Then my cousin sang. I walked up to the casket and put a flower in the cup. Then my little cousin Jaylen kept on repeating, “Lisa! Lisa!”

After that I walked to my cousin and his friends. We got in a big group hug; we were all crying. He told me, “Stop fighting, or you will be in a grave.”

That changed my life today. Now I have to be happy and not let anybody put me down. Sometimes I get angry. I have to live a happy life, go out there, and live it to the fullest. When you are heated all the time, you can have a short life. I was sad when my mom and dad divorced. I was depressed for a long time. I even wanted to commit suicide until my mom and dad talked to me. They told me to get over it. My dad told me, “I’m not like other dads that up and leave their kids.” I listened and it made me feel better. Even though I get down because of the divorce, I still am having a happy life. My dad is still here; I talk to him and see him every day.