Where there’s a will… there’s a way

amy - tucson, Arizona

Everyone knows of certain sayings your mother always told you but never really discovered the true value behind them until you are an adult looking back at your childhood. I have always been told that where there is a will, there is a way. In the face of adversity humans have the unique ability to push the limit, challenge conventionality, and reinvent the standards of innovation. Whatever motivates us it is always certain that the words cant, wont shouldn’t couldn’t or even impossible are not strong enough to stop us from achieving our dreams. We have built a world that our forefathers could never imagine: a world where humans can fly, a man can walk on the moon, a woman can vote, a black man could be president of the most powerful nation in the world. The individuals behind these remarkable achievements are those who defied the face of negativity and repeatedly hearing the words cant wont shouldn’t couldn’t or impossible. The one thing that each of these stories has in common is the common foundation of the belief that where there is a will, there is a way. As a college graduate about to embark into what is considered the worst economic climate the United States has seen since the depression I understand the value of not losing sight of your goals or giving up hope. Having heard the phrase “it’s just a bad time” I have taken this setback as a catalyst to accelerate my efforts. Despite the news saying that employment is at an all time high and the largest college graduating class is getting ready to enter a job market with little to no room for growth I have clung to what my mother always told me: where there is a will there is a way. It seems that everywhere we turn we are surrounded by negativity about the state of the world; the environment, the economy, people dying, children starving. The world seems to be overwhelmed with defeat. We have forgotten who we are and what we are capable of achieving as humans. Whether it be in your personal life or on a grander scale the phrase can be applied to people in every walk of life. In these discouraging times in our nations history we must all remember that we have seen worse days and the end of the world is not upon us. Tomorrow is a new day with the opportunity for change. Where there is life there is hope.