Hard Work= Success

Allison - Rapid City, South Dakota
Themes: work

Many times in a day you think to yourself, “I wish I could do better.” I believe that hard work will always lead to success one way or another. I have discovered this especially when I do sports and school, and when I am competitive with others. I have discovered that when I work hard, I always get some form of gratification when I have finished a task- weather it is a blue ribbon or an “A.”

In my eighth grade year, I have found that some of the assignments we are given can be very strenuous and hard. I see many people every day cheat, and I try very hard to resist this temptation, even if it means getting a bad grade. Even if I receive a bad grade, I know that it’s the grade I deserved. I have found that when I work hard in school, and try to learn the material myself, it helps me in future during tasks such as tests. Sometimes it seems as if temptation is lurking in every corner, and it is always there pestering you to make a wrong decision, but when I think that hard work always pays off, I know I will feel good about myself in the end.

When I play sports, I get very competitive with the people I am playing against. I feel like David, in David in Goliath, ready to take on a battle against something bigger than me. I feel like inside I am like a tiger waiting to let all loose, but sometimes I am not the “best player on the field,” or the “state champion.” Thinking of this makes me want to practice more and push myself harder. After I practice I feel like the next time I get to play a game, that I will become as fierce as a warrior in battle. After I run outside of track practice, I feel calm, as if I have an inner peace that will continue on with me when I go to race. Even if I don’t turn out to be the best player on the field, or the state champion, I know that I am better than before, and I will have given it everything I had.

Another obstacle I have in my life is morality. I know what the right thing to do is, but occasionally I make the wrong choice. I try to be as strong as Jesus was when He was faced with difficult decisions, but sometimes it seems too hard, like a mountain that seems too big to climb before you even try to climb it. Much of the time, when this image appears in my head, I become discouraged, and always think of my philosophy, “If I try hard enough, I will get success in some way or another.” Thinking of this inspires me to do the right thing, and I know that even if I don’t reach my goal, I can say that I tried, and I can keep on working harder.