Patience is the Key

Heather - Surry, Maine

I believe patience is the key to life. I’m 17 years old, and have been counting down the amount of time until I turn 18 since the day I turned 17. It’s not because I have a bad home life, either. My parents and I get along fine. It’s just that asking permission to do things has gotten really old. When I’m 18 I’ll be able to tell them where I’m going and a rough estimate of when I’ll be back, and they’ll say “Ok, call if anything changes.” In 75 days, I will have that freedom. Yes, I will also have more bills to pay, and probably have to work 2 jobs in order to pay them, but I will have the freedom, and possibly a day off every now and then to use that freedom.

I know being patient is difficult. When you have something to look forward to, you want time to speed up, and while it’s happening, you never want it to end. But being impatient doesn’t get you anywhere. It doesn’t make time move faster. When you dwell on things, it makes it seem like time is going slower. Rather than spending all of your time thinking about what you’re looking forward to, do things to distract yourself. Spend time with friends, or family. Read a book, surf the web, or play video games. Do whatever you normally would on an average day.

Another thing to be patient with is your problems. As a teenager, I’ve experienced a lot of drama, and the first thing I do, is overreact. Don’t do it. Most likely you would be making a much bigger deal of it than necessary. My advice to you is to just relax. If you relax, and be patient with whatever life throws at you, you’ll be golden. One way or another, everything will turn out alright. It may take some time, but eventually, things will mellow out. Just sit back, relax, and be patient.