Second Chances

Dalton - Antioch, Illinois

To live a life without making mistakes is like pitching a baseball game without throwing a ball: it’s just not going to happen. There is no such thing as a perfect person, so why should we be limited to a single chance? I believe in second chances. The way that I learn best is through my own personal experiences, especially from my mistakes. In fact, I would never learn anything if I had never tried anything. Thankfully, I am given second chances all of the time, and even more than two on some occasions. Second chances are very important because everybody makes a mistake at some point in their life. If I had to live with every mistake that I have made in my life, I would be on the verge of going crazy right now.

A good example would be when I was about 13 years old. My best friend Trevor and his dad, Paul, were going to go on a camping trip. They had invited me and my father to come along with them, but we had politely declined their offer because I had a baseball tryout that I had to go to. Luckily for me, the tryout eventually got cancelled, and was given another opportunity to go on the camping trip with them. This was probably the luckiest and the most important second chance I have ever gotten. The camping trip was awesome and we all had a great time.

The reason I was so glad to have the second chance I found out a little bit later. Two months after the trip, I found out that Paul had died. I miss him very much; this was the last memory I had of him. Whenever I think about Paul, I always want to revisit that campground in Red River, Wisconsin. I will forever be thankful for the second chance I got to go on that camping trip. Every time I see Trevor’s camper I can’t help but remember all of the good times I had with Paul. To me, the camping trip wasn’t just about late night fires and fishing. It was about doing the things you love with the people you love.

So although the second chance I got was not an intentional one, it still means the world to me. I had not made a mistake that needed to be corrected, but being given that chance to remember Paul one last time before he died was one chance that I am definitely glad to have received. I believe in second chances, and I believe that everybody deserves a second chance.