Daffodil

Julianna - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: death

Before my parakeet’s death, I never really knew the feeling of extreme sorrow. I couldn’t believe death could happen so fast. And I never thought it could happen to someone I loved. If you haven’t seen death at first hand, you won’t understand what I am talking about. I thought someone had ripped part of my heart out and then burned it.

As if she was one of my family members, I also loved my parakeet, Daffodil, unconditionally, whether she bit me or sang to me, I would always love her. Her bright yellow body with a blotch of pure white one each cheek touched my heart each time I saw her. I never thought I would be the one to end her joyful, long life. I remember her last day like the back of my hand.

On that bright, happy sunny day in Arizona, my brother’s Boy Scout troop had just finished a long hike. Another sister of a boy scout had come back to my house with me. I was showing her around my room and usually I let Daffodil out to roam on the floor of my room and stretch her wings. While I walked over to the computer, I felt something squish under my foot. Immediately, I took my weight off, but I was too late. Daffodil was crushed internally. There was nothing I could do for her but watch as she breathed her last bubble of air and slipped away in my hands. I cried nonstop for the next days, and couldn’t bear to tell anyone at school because I couldn’t get over it myself enough to explain the story to anyone else. And that dreadful night I couldn’t sleep, and all my thoughts were of the sound I heard when my foot met her delicate body. I couldn’t live with myself.

Now looking back on that day, I realize that my experience shows that anyone’s life can change in an instant, even if it means losing someone, or gaining a new family member. Everyone goes through ordeals, and it is very hard to overcome the loss of a loved one. I know this from my front seat view. Daffodil made my life a wonderful basket of bliss, but it could never last. No matter what, everyone should always be loving and caring, because people don’t last very long in this world, and your chance to be caring to them or to make their day will pass very quickly.

Life is never fair, and one day I might get something I like or make someone enjoy themselves, and the next someone might die right in front of my eyes. There are many lessons and new adventures in life that are hard and some that are easy, but they all teach us to live life to the fullest and to enjoy every moment of every day with every person that makes us whole.