Man Tumbling

Cullen - Greenville, South Carolina
Themes: sports

This I believe that wrestling is a sport of technique, strength, and leverage. Wrestling is one of the oldest sports ever created. No other team has taken this ancient sport of wrestling so seriously than the team I wrestle for: which is one of the best wrestling teams South Carolina has ever seen. The team I’m speaking of is Eastside High School. The Eastside High School wrestling team has won eight state titles in the last ten years and also has the state record for most consecutive state championships wins of six state titles in a row. Eastside’s wrestling team owes much of their success to their numerous coaches. Wrestling at Eastside isn’t just a sport for football players to stay in shape for: it’s Eastside’s most successful sport in history.

There are numerous reasons why wrestling is so successful at Eastside. One of those reasons is the skillful coaching staff, which consists of Coach Coles, Coach Maholtz and Coach Kozmicki. These coaches live and breathe wrestling. Coach Coles was undefeated in his wrestling career in college and is being inducted into the wrestling Hall of Fame this May. Coach Maholtz was a wrestler in Pennsylvania which is a very big wrestling state. Coach Kozmicki was also a wrestler in Pennsylvania where he won two individual high school state wrestling titles. Then he went on to wrestle for the Citadel, which is located in Charleston, South Carolina. The Citadel is one of the most prestigious wrestling colleges in the South. These three coaches are the foundation for Eastside’s successful state championships.

The student Athletes of the wrestling team are truly dedicated to the sports of wrestling. Wrestling is part of their life, inside and outside of school. They must constantly watch their weight and practice six to seven days a week for three hours a day; that includes holidays too. The students who wrestle also have to balance their school work and other school related activities. Wrestling is one of the most time consuming sports in high school today. This is another reason why the wrestlers of Eastside dominate every year.

The Eastside wrestling team has their hardest obstacle yet this year to win the seventh state championship in a row having lost six starters. Though our peak may be reached, Eastside wrestling has proved that they are the best team that South Carolina as ever seen.