Work Hard, It Will Lead You to Greatness

Landon - Rapid City, South Dakota
Themes: work

Many people say that through past life experiences they have learned a handful about life. I believe if you work hard at everything you do, it will reward you in many ways. I first saw how this affected my life when I first started my basketball career at St. Thomas More.

One day when I showed up to my first day of basketball on the freshman team I felt as though I was entering a lions cage like the days of Christian persecution, when they followed their faith instead of the law. When I started to put my shoes on my coach told me that I was going to be a stick legged guy, because I wouldn’t be able to bend my legs after I was done. I thought to myself what have I gotten myself into! Then I finally knew that I was here to stay and not baby out and quit. I knew that coming into every practice I was going to leave it tired as a dog. I just told myself that I was going to have to suck it up and know the floor wasn’t going to run for myself, so I just had to keep on pushing myself through every drill and extremely hard activity we had to do. Every time we didn’t do something right, or wasn’t working hard, so our coach would yell “On the black line!” I usually got used to running the 16’s but when we had to do them over and over I couldn’t take it anymore, I felt as though if I had sprinted a marathon. Every time I see the baseline I wished it would stand up and walk away. Right after we got done running a 16 we had to get right back into the drill and start it right over again hoping that everyone would do their job right and work hard so that we wouldn’t have to get back on the black line and run like horses getting ready for the Kentucky Derby. After a few weeks getting use to this hard work I knew how to deal with my sore muscles. After I had been going to these basketball practices, which were boot camps, I felt my muscles were turning into rocks. I know that basketball for me turned into a place where I didn’t really like to go anymore, but I still had that burning love for the game. Even though I dreaded going to each practice I knew that it was getting me a much better athlete, and a better student as well as a human being. Through this experience I learned two things, one was to work hard in everything I do, and it will get me far in life. Second I learned that I had to believe in myself and never give up in anything that I’m associated with.