Love Comes To Those Who Wait

Ashley - Hope, Idaho
Themes: love

Love Comes To Those Who Wait

I am only nineteen years old, so when I talk about love, many look at me in a way that says, “What can you possibly know?” Well, I may not know much, but I know what it looks like and I know what it feels like, and one thing is for certain, I know that I am deep in it. I grew up surrounded with long and loving relationships. My grandparents on my mother’s side have been married almost sixty two years, years full of loyalty, honesty, trust, and faithfulness, all with one other person. My parents have also been a strong example in my life, with thirty eight years of marriage, so I don’t expect anything less in my life. I have always wanted the fairy tale but until my sophomore year I never understood that I shouldn’t worry.

When I was young, I wanted to be noticed. I tried every day to look my best so that one day, that perfect guy would notice me. After many frustrations, I decided too much of my time had been spent worrying about people’s opinions of me. I wanted to live how I wanted to live, without any outside influences. Sophomore year I made a pact with myself, “No changing for anybody ever.” I began junior year with the same mindset. I focused on my schoolwork and the people that made me happy. But without warning, my life changed one snowy night, the night that I met my boyfriend of over two years. I had never spoken to him before, never pursued him, never tried to get his attention, but there he was. A chance encounter, and from that bitter cold February night we have been a part of each other’s life.

My mom told me many times that a young girl like me shouldn’t worry, and that when it was meant to be, it would happen. This advice remained with me through all of my crushes, but for some reason I never truly understood. There were many instances I felt my heart would crack and shatter, but those words never resounded loud enough for me to hear them when I needed them the most.

When Robert came into my life, he changed it. I knew that he wanted to be with me, for me and that I didn’t have to TRY. Our relationship just was, and I am completely happy.

When my friends stress out about their love life, I just listen with understanding, knowing I too have gone through that situation. I give them the same advice that my mother used to give me. “You don’t need anyone to make you happy, do the things that you want to do with your life, pursue your dreams and when the timing is right, that perfect guy will find you in some unexpected way.” You just have to keep your eyes open, and maybe you just might meet him on a brisk night late February.