The Power of Believing

Kaci - auburn, California

September 22, 2006 was the day that changed my life. That Friday night started off like any other weekend for me. I was a junior in high school and what my mom liked to call a “social butterfly.” School had been in session for about a month and that weekend was the first party since summer. Little did my parents know that at around 11:30 PM, they would receive a phone call that would make their hearts sink down to their ankles. I had been the passenger in a fatal car accident. While leaving the party, the driver of the car I was in spun out of control, driving through over forty feet of fencing, only to be stopped by a tree. A wooden post from the fencing had flown through the window of the car and swiped me across the face. When the car hit the tree, my head hit the post again, knocking me unconscious and causing several bruises to my brain. When the paramedics arrived, I was still buckled into my seat, passed out. My parents were told I might not make it. I suffered from several brain contusions, bruises, and a nose reduced to powder form.

As I lay in the hospital bed, my mom never left my side. She was continually crying over the fact of what had happened to her little girl. I continued to tell her I had angels watching over me and that she had to believe I would be okay. I told her she had to be strong for me. From that day on, my mom, dad, and sister would place their hands on me as they prayed for my healing, believing that I would become healthy again. As time went on, I continued to become healthier. Every day I continued to grow stronger and was finally released to go home. When my family and I got home, my mom expressed how happy she was that I was on the road to becoming healthy again. I always knew the day would come; I never stopped believing that I would make it through this terrible mess.

If it weren’t for the belief of my family and friends and the encouragement they gave me every day, I don’t think I would have had the strength to hold on like I did. My family and friends gave me something to fight for, a reason to stay strong. I was so weak at the time, struggling to become healthy. In order to overcome my illness, I used the encouragement of those around me. My friends and family got me through the days and pushed me to keep going. When you have so much faith and passion for someone and you mix it with the power of believing, anything can happen. Believing is so powerful that if you truly believe in something, and I mean have your whole heart and soul into it, then you have the power to make it happen. Having a strong mindset and believing in your own potential will allow your beliefs to come true. I believe in the power of believing.