Keep Your Eyes Open and Your Head Up

Elizabeth - Rapid City, South Dakota

Many people have beliefs and principles in life to help drive them through every day. I believe that everyone should be confident, keep their heads up and their eyes open because we might miss something in our lives. I got a chance to see something in my life that if I didn’t just look up I would have missed it.

Around December last year we were driving back from a party in Nebraska. It went late so it was as dark as charcoal and all you could see were the lights on our car. When you are out in Nebraska, in the middle of nowhere, things can get a little boring on a long drive. I thought it would be a normal drive where I could fall asleep or listen to music. Then I looked out the window. As I looked up billions of dots were shinning down. These amazing dots were stars that sprinkled the black sky. With no lights around, these stars seemed a thousand times brighter. They seemed to go on and on with a greater brightness. As if the stars weren’t beautiful enough, an arch of gold flashed across the sky. It was the first shooting star I had ever seen. It was as bright as the sun and so mesmerizing that when it came I thought it was fake. Just as fast as it came though, it dove back into the dark night sky. It was the chance of a lifetime to see a shooting star and since then I haven’t seen another one. Being that lucky, I thought about how fast it came and how fast it was gone. If I hadn’t looked up and opened my eyes I would have missed God’s shooting star completely. Holding your head up and seeing a shooting star is just one way that holding my head up and opening my eyes has helped me.

Confidence can really change lives and by holding my head up I have a way of gaining a lot of confidence too. No one likes being unnoticed and all it takes is a little confidence. I learned thourhg dancing to be a performer and give it my all. It helped me to look at the crowd, hold my head up and show them what I could do. I feel sorry for people who need just a little bit of confidence. Just like the man Jesus cured of blindness and whose eyes were opened, all we have to do is have the confidence to open our eyes to the things around us. That is why I feel people should hold their head up and keep their eyes open so they have confidence and don’t miss the little things in life that can make our day.