The Power in You

Galen - carlisle, Pennsylvania

I believe in the power to change the world. We walk through this world as though we just work and live here, but nothing really matters to us. We can change the world, so what is standing in our way?

You go through life and you are taught that you can do anything. You can be president of the U.S.A or a doctor or whatever you want, but no one really cares. People do not like it when people stand out and really try to be who they are. They just say, “Well, they have it together” and go on trying to slide through to tomorrow. What if today was not just a day we were trying to slide through? What if everybody tried to change the world? Where would we all be?

I do not just believe that I can change the world; I believe that I am changing the world right here in Newville, Pennsylvania. I give a smile to someone who is having a bad day, it’s just being kind. This may help them; I don’t stick around to see. You know when someone does something that they really did not have to, but they did it to make you feel better? It is not the big things that make the difference. It is the little things like when you listen to someone, that’s all it takes. When we do that, it is not only that person that we are helping, we are helping ourselves. When we help someone out of love and not because someone is watching, only then can we really find happiness.

In ninth grade I was probably the happiest person you would have ever met and I used to tell everybody, “It’s a great day to be alive.” Whether they thought that or not, I told them anyway. If their day was not going so well, then I would try to encourage them. I still have people come up to me and tell me, “It’s a great day to be alive”. I wonder sometimes if that ever made a difference, but I just remember all the times someone made a difference in my life and they never knew it.

We can do it if just one person steps out of their comfort zone or their selflessness; it is not a forgotten deed that will be tossed into the garbage. It is something that will be passed on, but it starts with you.

Surveys say: the average person influences one person a day. That is 27,375 people in an average lifetime. How are you influencing others? What change have you made? I believe that the most powerful weapon is your mind; it just depends on how you use it. What if all the people that affected you decided that they were too busy that day or they did not feel like it.? Where would you be? What if you decided to change the world?