I Believe in a Thing Called Love

Angel - Prairie du Rocher, Illinois
Themes: love

Amore, romance, infatuation, relentless: these are all words that are used to describe love. Being in love is like no other feeling in the world. Until you’ve experienced it, you have no idea. Love sweeps you off your feet; it completely astounds you. Love turns fools into geniuses, and geniuses into fools. Love can truly drive you mad, or make you sane. Love is not just an emotion; it’s a physical change.

They always said we’d never last. They all reminded me, “First loves are never true loves.” It seemed like everyone else doomed our relationship from the start. None of my friends really believed that I could find true love in high school. They think that it is too soon in life to be tied down to one person. True love never “ties you down”, however. True love gives you wings; it makes your life blossom.

I met Zach my freshman year of high school. We began dating on Friday, March 14th, 2006. We were inseparable, and it seemed like our relationship was truly meant to be. I thought that we could beat all the odds against us. I knew our odds were terrible, as I knew about all Zach’s previous relationships; none of which had lasted more than a month or two. I knew we would be different, somehow. Somehow I felt that we were meant to be together.

When Zach’s friend Jessica said, “Hold on, I need to talk to you” after lunch that day, I knew something was wrong. All she said was, “Zach doesn’t want to be your boyfriend anymore.” We had been together for two months, and I could just hear my friends saying, “I told you so.” I never saw it coming, and it was a huge blow. I had thought we were doing great. I was happy, wasn’t he?

We got back together over the summer. I had some major trust issues with him, which took me a long time to resolve. He was my first real boyfriend, my first kiss, my first break-up, my first everything. Then, when we got back together, I got to prove all my friends wrong. Miracles really do happen sometimes, and, although I was devastated that he broke up with me, I was so glad to be back with him, all that went away.

We have been together for three years now, give or take a few months. Although our break-up three years ago was probably one of the lowest points of my life, I think it has helped our relationship in the long run. I believe that what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger, I believe that break-ups can show you whether you really want to be with someone or not, and I believe that I am meant to be with Zach, forever and always.