Everyday Heros

Stachia - Black Hawk, South Dakota

Every person in this world has a belief, like the food they eat it keeps them going, most don’t recognize it. I believe a hero isn’t a person who has insane immortal powers like spider-man or bat-man, a hero isn’t someone who drives a cool car and saves people with their powers but is an average everyday person that doesn’t stick out in a crowd but prefers to blend in. I believe a hero is someone who puts the ones they love above themselves.

My uncle Dan served in the Navy, when he went to Japan he met a girl, Yoko who would become his fiancé. I am told they were like two peas in a pod. I was born in the winter of 1994 and my uncles had turned 21 the day before I was born. That is why I am unable to remember this tragedy but had it told to me by those who felt it as though a knife had pierced through their hearts.

My uncles went out one day to play in their dune buggy. It was winter and the lakes were frozen with a soft blanket of snow that danced across the surface when the wind blew. What happened is something that neither I nor anyone else will ever understand. As they drove they hit a spot of black ice. The ice broke. The dune buggy fell though with both of my uncles still inside. Uncle Den couldn’t swim but Dan was able to push him out of the buggy and up to the surface. My uncle Dan was unable to unbuckle his seatbelt and free himself. He died that night. His action saved my uncle Den.

His fiancé who gives me nothing but good memories full of genuine smiles and a ringing laughter came here for Christmas for as long as I can remember. She was always happy. I was too young to understand who she was or what tragedy had occurred. Now I wonder if her smiles were just icing on the cake. Not showing the pain that must have filled her heart like a dam ready to burst makes he a hero and a woman to look up to. Not that long ago her visits became less frequent and then altogether stopped. She had met a guy and was getting married to him. She sent back some pictures and things and we haven’t heard from her since. I pray that she is happy.

People tell me there is no such thing as heroes; I just smile knowing the truth. They say heroes only exist on television and in comics and books like Harry Potter. I know better. Sometimes when I sit and think about Dan the winds seems to whisper and I know he’s in heaven watching us from above. My uncle Dan was a hero he saved his brother at the cost of his own life. He was not someone that stuck out like a sore thumb in a crowd but just your average person. He had no superpowers just a heart full of love. A heart so full of love that he was selfless enough to give his life for his brother. Yoko is a hero as well, she is not one in the same way as Dan, but was willing to come back even though it must have caused her great pain. A hero isn’t someone cool or hot someone in a magazine but someone that puts others in front of themselves, even if it cost them their life. I believe in heroes. My uncle Dan is mine.