Karly - Taylors, South Carolina

I am Karly, I am 16 and I have recently gone through a big change in my life. I have realized that the person that I’ve called my best friend for years is undependable and has never been there for me. I have spent countless days backing her up, watching out for her, and genuinely caring for her, but when it has come time to do the same for me, she never has. I have realized through dealing with her, I should always be dependable and be there when it counts for those who need me the most.

Last year, I had an important event take place in my life, a dance recital marking the end of my 10 years of dancing. I was going to be on stage in front of everyone receiving a huge trophy, all of my family was there and I asked my friend to come, and she told me she would be the first one there for me, giving me flowers and all of her attention. When the time came for the big day, she didn’t even bother to show up, she didn’t offer support, or ever apologize. She has acted this way our entire friendship, and this was the last straw, I have never forgiven her for the way she has treated me, and I never will. Through this final separation, I have learned that I should never treat anyone like that, no one appreciates being used and everyone deserves someone to stand beside them and support them.

Through this same event last year, I had this lesson reinforced by a new friend. She was the only one who showed up and supported me at my recital. She stood by me in my moment of need, she showed me how wrong my former best friend treated me and how a true friend should treat you. Not just in this one event, but in many moments since, she has been there for me, supporting me, and being a true friend. I have learned the true meaning of friendship from her, and I have learned what it truly means to be dependable.