Kindness Comes First

Andrew - Rapid City, South Dakota

I believe that it is more important to be kind than to be one of those popular kids who strut down the hall as though they own it or have the starting position on a sports team and have everybody treat you like a superhero. This especially applies to me more than ever in middle school and throughout high school. That doesn’t mean stop working hard to be on that starting role of a sports team just because you think that you are nice. If you work hard enough, you can obtain anything in life. Being kind is the basis for you getting what you are trying to obtain.

Be kind is something anyone can do. For some of those people who have grown up in harsh environments it may be harder for them to work to be kind, but anyone who wants to can be nice. It is not a skill you have to learn, but it may be something that you have to work at for it to become part of your life. Once you work kindness into your life, it is easier to get help from others because they know that you would do the same thing for them if they were in a tight situation.

In my years in middle school, I have sometimes fallen away from my belief and I have thought that life in middle school would be so much easier if I could get the cool and popular kids on my side. If like them could have the lockers cheer for me. God always calls us to be generous with everything we have, but we are only human and we will occasionally stray away like the prodigal son from what is right and what we believe. I believe that a strong family is the basis for kindness.

They say that charity begins at home and I believe that that statement is true. I believe that a strong, healthy family is where you learn to be kind and where you make kindness a way of life. Your parents teach you that being kind will get you further in life than popularity will. This is not to say that you can’t be popular and nice. Just that if you are popular because you are mean to the kid who isn’t dressed with clothes that say look at me, or the kid who looks funny it is not worth it. Sure you will be popular through your teens, but if you carry that trait to your job no one will want to help you or care to ask you to the office lunch because they know you will just criticize them.

Kindness with help you your entire life whether it is to get a letter of recommendation or get a scholarship to the college you want to go to. Popularity will get you where you want to go as long as people care if you are popular or not. Kindness is the basis for everything that you will do in your life and kindness is your one way ticket to heaven.

This I believe.