Jenna - Red Bud, Illinois

“Everything Happens for a Reason”

I believe everything happens for a reason. Death, betrayal, hurt, and obstacles are there to make me stronger. I learn from mine and others’ mistakes so I can become a better person and be the best I can be. I only have one chance to live my life.

I saw the color drain from my mom’s face when she answered the phone. Immediately tears started trickling down her face. All she said was “I’m getting on a plane as soon as I can.” She hung up the phone and explained to me that Grandma Chartrand had just had a heart attack. She had gotten to the hospital just in time, but she wanted to fly down there to make sure everything was okay for herself. For the first time in my life, I realized my grandma wasn’t going to be around forever. My sweet grandma whose house I loved to stay over at, whose chicken n’ dumplings nobody could beat, and who I loved to go shopping with. Grandma C is the nicest person you could ever meet, and I don’t know how someone so good could have something so bad happen to her.

Two years later, my grandma is still battling with her health. She is constantly having problems with her heart, asthma, and falling. Recently, she fell and pulled her rotator cuff. She is now back from Florida for the summer and our family is greatly relieved. Now we can keep a close eye on her. Not only am I happy about that, but I get to spend more time with her as well. I quit my job so this summer my grandma and I can spend most of the summer at our favorite place- the lake house.

My grandma is a very religious person. I believe that is why she is so successful in life. She has gone through a lot of hardships, like her daughter dying, and she has overcome it. She is so nice and caring, and I don’t think I have ever met someone so loving and forgiving. She loves her children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren. Our family is so close because of her.

Since my grandma’s heart attack, I look at everyday as a challenge that I can overcome. If I believe in myself, I can do anything. I am nicer to people, I surprise others with little gifts, and try to keep my faith. My grandma does these things everyday. When I grow up, I want to be looked at as highly as my grandma is. She is a wonderful woman.