Time’s Tempo

Zoe - Santa Fe, New Mexico

As the stars fade from the night, I being thinking about my day’s duties. I wonder about the morning that lies ahead. I never think too far in advance however, for I believe in rhythm. I cherish the idea that rhythm is a power unto itself, taking charge of my day, creating time’s unique tempo. I believe in all kinds of rhythm ranging from that of Bobby Mcferrin to that of my life. It is this fundamental idea that forms who I am. To me, rhythm can be found in many, many aspects that surround me each and every day and night; simple things like the music I play before I fall asleep or the complicated relationships I have with my friends and family.

My life is enriched by the melodies of many different people. I have noticed that some people’s songs impact me greatly- those pieces will remain in my heart and mind forever. Others, I encounter and wish our relationship would grow, but somehow, it doesn’t. Our friendship is like an unfinished song- great in the beginning, but then dwindling down, never to be revisited. Partly, I believe that this is my doing: never taking the time to learn their lyrics or simply looking over their heads in hopes of a “better” tune. I believe that at some point, we are all guilty of such actions. And then, there are those few who feel like they belong in my music book. We share family reunions together- getting to know the melody behind each other’s family. I trust them and they trust me. Together, our words, actions, feelings and heart create the song of life!

This is not to say that rhythm is always perfect. I believe that in order to keep the rhythm steady, one must learn how to forgive and forget: forgive those who have given you pain, forget the minuscule things that matter not, for we are all part of a system that is constantly interrupted and forever expanded upon.

The day moves forward and so do I. I realize that no matter who I am or what I do, all the activities in which I participate, require a beat of some kind.Throughout the afternoon, I watch as the cycle of nature continues with the

tempo of my community. I find dance, music, art, passion and life. The beat of drums, pace of instruments, color of voices and the patter of dancer’s bare feet on the ground beneath them all add to the growing and forever thriving concept of being alive.

As night falls and the stars begin to punctuate the sky once more, I reflect upon the day I have just experienced. I press the “Play” button on my boom box. Soft music circles my dark, serene room. My eyes begin to close while my head sinks into the pillow beneath it. With the rhythm of my breath slow

and steady, I drift off into another dimension which welcomes me with a sweet dream; the beginning of a continuing cycle of rhythm!