Bad Things DO Happen to Good People

Cydne - Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Themes: death

Why do bad things happen to good people? Bad things happen to everyone. It’s inevitable. However, a lot of the people in the world are very kind, and they still experience terrible things. I often wonder why this is. It has been my experience that horrible things happen to truly amazing people.

My dad’s friend Andrea is a great person. She is very sweet, and she cares a lot for other people. Her husband, Jim, was also a very nice person. He was kind of like everyone’s teddy bear. Even though he was big, he was one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Unfortunately, Jim died of a random heart attack 3 weeks ago. Nobody had any idea that he was going to have a heart attack, and sadly, his heart attack occurred when he was home alone. When Jim began to have his heart attack, he tried to call his wife. She didn’t pick up. When she checked her voicemail 20 minutes later, she heard her husband die over the phone. When she rushed home that day, she discovered that she was too late. She also discovered that Jim fell through a wall when he died, leaving the memory of his death a permanent feature in their home. Neither Andrea nor Jim or any of their family members deserved such a horrible tragedy. I know their family personally, and believe me when I say the definitely didn’t deserve this. Since Jim’s death, Andrea and her kids have been absolutely miserable. I have watched their perfect family fall apart in a matter of weeks, and it is heartbreaking. They are all great people, and their lives are forever changed for the worst.

My family is currently experiencing a situation somewhat similar to Andrea’s. One of my family members, who is a truly remarkable person, is losing his life in a way that is extremely unfair. My grandpa has LB disease with Parkinsonism. Basically, his body slowly breaks down until he dies. He can no longer walk or talk and his brain doesn’t function properly anymore. At least, we don’t think it does. Nobody can tell, seeing as my grandpa can no longer communicate and his body is too weak to write anything down. He can never be left alone and he has a personal caregiver with him at all times. Not only is it hard on my grandpa, it is also hard on my entire family, especially my grandma. Ever since my grandpa was diagnosed, my family hasn’t been the same. I feel like this whole thing has been hardest on me. I know that sounds kind of selfish, but I have had the least amount of time to get to know my grandpa, and now he’s dying and in a matter of months, I will never get to see him again and he will be gone forever. It’s devastating. In my opinion, the saddest part of this situation is my grandpa’s attitude. Every time I see him, even though his quality of life is dreadful, my grandpa always has a smile on his face. Even as his life is fading away, and even as he watches everyone in his family slowly break down, he still has a smile on his face. My grandpa’s smile has made a significant difference in my life. Each time I watch my grandpa smile, my heart breaks. My grandpa’s disease and the loss of Andrea’s husband have really shown me what I truly believe.

So far, in the 14 years that I have been on this Earth, life has taught me one very important lesson. Even though I have always been told that if I put positive energy into the world, good things will come to me, this statement seems to have proven itself false. I believe that bad things do happen to good people.