I believe in Dreams

Alex - Great Neck, New York

I had not realized that my dreams have morphed my life into what it is today until a couple days before I wrote this. I do not mean the “shoot for the stars” kind of dreams but the dreams you have when you are sleeping.

Every time I have a dream it changes me or my life in some way. I have a different view of the world every time I wake up from a dream. Whether it’s a nightmare or it’s a dream about me and my friends. They give me ideas about the world in general. Sometimes they even predict what’s going to happen.

One night I had a dream about an apocalyptic occurrence. Every one on the planet was destined to turn to dust. I was sitting in a circle with my closest friends giving my good byes to each of them. Sobbing hysterically all the while. When suddenly I remember I hadn’t said my good bye to my parents. I ran inside where they were sitting together. I said, “Mom, Dad, I’ll love you guys forever.” All the sudden I was two years old crying while getting stitches, then I was five and I was going off to kindergarten, then I was six slamming my head on a door, than I was nine at my brother’s Bar-Mitzvah, then all the sudden I’m in my room saying to my self it was just a dream. That next day when I went to school I looked at each of friends thinking, “What if this person wasn’t here tomorrow.” I also thought about the fact that my life actually flashed before me like a television changing channels. It got me thinking that I haven’t done enough in my life for it to end. So from that day forth I have lived my days like they were my last and made every day special.

I once had a dream about someone that I wasn’t sure I should have been friends with. I would say to myself do I like this person or should I just let them pass. Then, I had this dream and the entire dream was about them. During the dream I had grown on them and was happy to be around them. Then by some weird reason the whole world got really small and I was really tall. I was disappointed that I couldn’t be friends with them due to the severe height difference in the dream and it made me realize I did like them and I was sure about it. The next day I couldn’t wait to talk to them and be friendly. A friendship sprouted out of a dream.

Dreams connect your personal thoughts about the world with the actual real world. They take your opinions and make a world of you. Almost like a movie directed by, produced by, written by, and starring your brain. Also, you have to consider that you can’t make your own dreams. Things that you don’t realize or may not know somehow your brain knows and brings them up in dreams. It is fascinating and these things that pop up in your dreams are like a teacher teaching a lesson.

There is a title of a Jason Mraz song. It is “Sleeping to Dream”. That title defines what I attempt to do every night. I try to sleep so I can dream. Most of the time in my dreams things happen that would definitely happen if I was the supreme force of Earth. In my dreams I can believe in anything, In my dreams my brain can take traits from other people and put them into one person creating a whole new person. In my dreams I meet people it is impossible I will meet in person. Meeting these people in my dreams is like meeting them in person just the traits that they possess are my view of them. But, sometimes that is not true. Sometimes I meet them as if they were strangers and they have their own traits almost like some force is putting their personality in my head. I believe in a force that puts things in our mind so that we can view scenarios in life. Some of which might never happen but some of which will.

My dreams are my second life, my home away from home. They take me to better or worse and bring me to a world of beauty and awe or of agony and despair. The dreams of beauty and awe are my dreams (“shoot for the stars” kind) for the planet’s future. I have high standards for the future of my world and the world around me. Do you think I’m going to tell you more, in your dreams.