I Believe in Respect for All Living Things

Erica - Rapid City, South Dakota
Themes: respect

If you believe in something do not let anybody tell you different. I believe

everything should be treated with respect. It seems like when I meet people I always act

in a kind and polite way toward them. It comes naturally for me. I also find it funny that

when we see someone on the street, we don’t always act the same way we do when we

greet our friends and family. We tend to be more careful with our emotions trying not to

offend them and trying to protect ourselves.

My philosophy in life is to be kind to all living things and stay with the friends

that support me all through my life. One time when my family and I were coming back to

our car after eating at a restaurant a homeless person that had been drinking came up to

our car. She asked for some money, but instead my dad gave her our leftovers from

supper. She said, “thank you,” and left. My little brother felt like we gave away his food

and wasn’t very happy! He seemed more concerned with his next meal, but I will always

remember that day, because it felt like I was giving a Christmas gift to someone who

really needed it.

I sometimes feel like my heart is as big as the Grinch’s (at the end of the movie)

when I give things to others who need it. When we give we are supposed to feel good!

Somehow giving of ourselves makes those around us come alive like in the story of

Pinocchio. You might remember his hard-nosed habit of lying which was difficult for

him to break. The love of Gippetto showed Pinocchio the light, and his wish upon a star

was answered. Wood became flesh, a cricket sang a tune, and the truth saved the day.

I think people should also respect nature. I think nature is beautiful and I think it

should stay that way, and when we destroy it by garbage and chemicals it does not look

the same. When I pick up garbage it feels like I am saving someone’s life in the future,

because I did a little act of kindness. We also need to respect the animals that live in the

environment because they to are suffering from garbage in the water and in their habitats.

When I get older I really do not want our planet to be called the brown planet, but the

green planet. I would like to make a difference in the world helping our plantet.

When we have friends that are there for us not matter what may happen, it is a

great feeling! Our true friends stand by us and help us to do the right things. When we

are asked to do something we do not want to do (like in Cinderella for example when she

had to clean the house before the ball) our friends (the little mice and the other animals)

help us through the tough times, so we can accomplish our goals. In turn, when we do

something good for our friends they have a horse’s grin! A sign of how much they value

our friendship.

Having respect for things in life like people, nature, and animals makes me feel

good about myself and I hope it does to you too. Having friends there to support you

makes you feel great too, because they are always there to help guide you. This is why I

believe everything should be treated with respect, because everything has something to

offer in life.