Questioning Religion at Catholic School

Stephen - Rapid City,

Questioning Religion at Catholic School

I go to Catholic school. I am not Catholic. I don’t have a teacher to talk to when I question religion. Fortunately, my parents help me with this. As I get older, I can see that religion can be used in different ways. I believe that Religion should be used for good and not bad.

Some times religion can be like a popular girl, it looks good and sweet from the outside but inside it can be deceiving and hurtful. One example of how religion can be used for bad reasons is when it is used to justify discrimination. I think this is the case with gay marriage. People will use the Bible to do everything they can to not let two people who love each other get married. They say they live their life like Jesus, but Jesus loved all people and did not discriminate against loving people. People used the Bible in the past to try to not allow slaves to marry each other, and then also to not allow people of different races to marry. Gay marriage is the same.

Religion can be like a bad apple- it looks good on the outside but can be bad in the inside. One extreme example of the misuse of religion is the Middle East conflict. Once I was listening to the radio and the news announcer said that a member of the Taliban blew himself up along with twelve other people “In the name of God”. Of course, neither God nor Jesus would have wanted that to happen. It is not the religion that causes the problem. It is the people that use religion for hateful reasons that cause the problem.

The Bible to me is confusing. In Leviticus it says that God hates it when two people of the same gender marry. And yet Jesus tells us to accept and love all people no matter their race, creed or beliefs. The Bible can lead us to safety but at the same time if misused it could lead us to danger.

The Bible is a rose. If handled right it can be beautiful but if handled wrong it can hurt you with its thorns. I don’t mean to say that religion is bad. In my religion class at school we watched a video about a guy who had problems with drugs, gangs, alcohol and behavior. At one point he was so destructive that when his family moved to Japan, he was kicked out of the country. When he got back to America he went to church for the first time in his life. From the day he went he felt he was cured of all his problems. He is a Priest today. Religion saved his life.

Religion can be wonderful but we must keep people who misuse it in check. If religion is used to help people, promote tolerance, love and peace among all human beings the world will be a better place.