Hard Work and Integrity

Lance - Washington

Hard Work and Integrity

This I believe. I believe sports are great assets for kids to have in their lives while growing up. For me, sports were not just about having fun but they were my life. I tried numerous sports, all of which had their unique skill requirements. While I was growing up, the sports I played influenced my life in many positive ways by making me a better student, a harder worker and gave me more integrity. I played both school and club sports, some of which had its drill sergeant type coaches, and other sports that I played had coaches who were like teachers, because they would take you under their wing and worked with you on something that you needed to improve on.

When I was growing up I always loved to play sports, whether it was kick ball at recess, football after school, or hockey. Sports for me were about hard work and integrity. The reason I was so involved in sports was that my parents wanted me to live a healthy and active life, and not out doing drugs and going nowhere. While I was playing hockey my main job that my parents put on me was to do well in school so I could go to college. I was told by my parents and coaches that school came first and that to be successful athlete, I had to work even harder to be a successful student. For me I knew in my mind that I could be the best athlete but if I didn’t do well in school and get into college, my hard work in school and athletics would be for nothing, which is why in today’s America, many young athletes lack two simple assets that every student athlete needs to have and that is hard work and integrity. For many young athletes, hard work and integrity to them is going to practice or games and giving 110% and leading their teams, either in drills or games. For me, hard work is what I lived by and integrity is what I grew up having. It was my goal to get into college, which is why the hard work I put into sports helped me in getting into college. In my sophomore year of high school all my hard work and integrity finally paid off when I made the Kent Crusaders Junior B hockey team, which for me was a reward for all the hard work I put in on and off the ice. However, the best reward came in the form of an acceptance letter my senior year from the University of Idaho, which is where I would be attending college.

This is what I believe. I believe that sports are great assets for kids to have in their lives. Sports not only did wonders for me growing up, but they can do a lot more for other kids growing up as well. Sports helped me shape my life into the person I am today by hard work and integrity which has made me not only a better athlete but a better student. Sports are a great way for kids to let out emotion, do well in school and develop great leadership skills.