Nothing but Hope

Alejandro - Huntington Park, California
Themes: family, hope, setbacks

I believe in hope, along with ambition, achievement and aspiration. For most of my life I never found a word for it, but I always found the need to believe that everything would be fine. I guess I learned it from my dear mother. Since I was very young the tears of my mother never really left me. As something so small I was useless, maybe not in her mind but undoubtedly in mine. Still to this day I still see my mother almost pull out her hair because of something; it varies to financial problems up to internal problems and even family problems.

Every time I saw mother cry, I ended up seeing her smile, and there was nothing like it. My mother since the beginning had nothing but hope. She emigrated pregnant with me in her stomach. She decided to come to this country because of the thought of me and my future, she new that if she came she would have nothing but hope. She came with nothing more than ambition and anticipation of a good life and future. This in fact took me a very long time to figure out about my mother but it wasn’t hard to notice since the beginning.

At times it was hard to believe in optimism. My mother always seemed to do so just fine. I wondered how she could do such a thing; I wondered how she never flinched in the face of adversity. One day I found the courage to ask her, and with a warm smile she said “you, you and you… oh yeah and her”. She pointed to my brothers and I. At that moment I found out what hope was about, I found that our family gave her a reason greater than anything in her life.

It was humorous to think of where I got it from and it made sense according to what I believe. Ever since I was old enough to worry about some thing only two things registered in my mind, one was eliminate my worry and the other was to keep my head up and stay above the water. This shortly became a strong weapon in my arsenal when I needed it. Sometimes just like my mother, all I can do is hope for the best.