Regrets: I Have None…

Elliott - Belgrade, Montana
Themes: carpe diem

Every person in this life has moments where they wish they had handled something differently. It is bad for one person to dwell on the past and not look to the future for their answers. I believe that regrets are merely mistakes we didn’t learn from. Therefore, don’t live your life with a heart of regret; rather take everything as a learning experience.

Through my life I have had to live with regrets. I always had the idea that there was no way to change the past, and regretted the mistakes I had made. As life passed by, and friends and family came and went, I began to realize that regrets were just mistakes I didn’t learn from. Nearly a year ago I lost a friend I was very close with. I realized that we had both made mistakes in our friendship and there were things we both could have done differently. The mistakes we made, I learned from, and since then have only grown closer to my friends and family. I hope one day that Kelsey will forgive me as I have finally forgiven her.

Life is filled with mistakes, and this can clearly be seen in the sporting realm. If a team loses a big game there is a deep regret among the team because they got beat. Another way to look at it is that mistakes were made and once they are analyzed the team can come back stronger than before.

There is also the regret of losing a loved one. This may not have anything to do with a mistake at all, but is it healthy to dwell on the past? Possibly the hardest thing in life is getting over the loss of a loved one and once the healing process starts then looking back is hazardous. We all want to remember the one’s we’ve lost but dwelling on the past is no way to look to the future.

Living your life with regrets can be harmful to you and your loved ones, even though you may not realize it. Look to the future and be optimistic. Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others, but don’t regret them.