A reason for believing

Kateri - Rapid City, South Dakota

Believe, having no proof of evidence. Then stepping out, because you have faith. I believe that in life, no matter what happens everything happens for a reason. Having both of my parents in the US Air Force, the military way of life has always had a deep affect on me. I always try to stay true to my beliefs, that in life there is a purpose for what happens on the road of life.

Both of my parents have longtime military careers. My Mother has Twenty years of service. My Father has served for sixteen years. They are expected and are ready to be deploying overseas. We arrived in Rapid City in the summer of 2004, my parent were stationed at Ellsworth, Air Force Base. We settled into our new home. My parents settled into their new jobs. My brother and I started our new schools. Then in winter of 2005, the first words of deployment came. My dad was to leave soon, the day after Christmas, December 26, 2005 for Guam; he left we were told he would be away for four months. That was hard for me because I was in a new school and my dad wasn’t there to live those memories with me.

Then, the next year my dad was deployed to Kuwait. He would be gone for another four months. Next, my mom was deployed to Iraq. She would be away for four months also. My brother and I were living with my grandma while my parents were away. It was extremely difficult especially since my brother was only five years old. He was entering kindergarten for all day school. I had turned eleven, and was entering middle school. We both needed our parents during that time of transition.

The military was constantly deploying my dad, next, in 2007, he was sent to Qatar for four months just like usual. I hadn’t had a Christmas with my dad in three long years. I loved and missed my dad. The only way I could experience that closeness to him, was listening to his voice on Christmas videotape. We all cried, I was thankful that the Lord heard my prayer for his safety. For another Christmas a video arrived and he read us “The night before Christmas.”

Finally its July of 2008 my brother was entering 2nd grade and I was entering 8th. Just when I thought my parents wouldn’t get sent away again, the worst news we could ever hear then we learned that we are moving to Germany in November. I have made a lot of friends and I would have only been in the middle of my year and then having to leave. My parents gave me a choice though they told me I could stay until graduation or I could go with them in November. I chose to stay and enjoy my last year in Rapid City.

I believe that no matter what everything happens for a reason. My philosophy shows because through all these events I have became stronger, wiser, and a more grown up person. Besides that I have also learned that while my parents were gone my friends and I became closer because they were there for me during rough times. That’s what I believe and how.