I Believe In Making Your Own Path

Rachael - Rapid City, South Dakota

There are things to live by during your life, but there also are many things to believe in, in life. I believe that you shouldn’t follow the path that everyone else has and is walking down, to follow your heart and step outside the lines. I believe you need to make your own path no matter how difficult it is. I believe you need to be yourself. I believe we need to focus on what we want to do without listening to the opinions of others. Many people go through their lives following others and not doing what they want.

Everyone has trouble knowing who they want to be and how to be it, especially in your early life when everyone wants to be included in the “in” group. You care what everyone thinks about you, you get so caught up in everyone else’s opinions and ideas that you don’t look at your own. When I was in sixth and seventh grade I did not know who I was. I was new in middle school. It was like getting our first job, a whole different story than elementary school, new people, friends and so many more hurdles to overcome.

One of my hardest obstacles in sixth and seventh grade was my friends I didn’t know what to be. So I decided to try to be popular. I found was I was laughing at jokes I didn’t particularly think were funny. I was making fun of kids more often and not being as nice to them. I also wasn’t paying attention to my grades instead I went places with friends. I wasn’t myself at all it was like I was me but I was wearing a costume over top. I wasn’t as happy as I could be like the little kids in first grade that didn’t care if their pants were on backwards they just wanted to have fun. I was a billboard face with a painted smile that I didn’t know how to replace with a real one. Then finally when I got older I realized that being happy doesn’t mean being popular, having the nicest clothes and hanging out with a certain group, it’s what you feel comfortable in and what doesn’t have you thinking twice about everything you do.

Soon enough I went back to my old friends who made me laugh at the stupid little things, which I wanted to laugh about. Like a heart beating I didn’t even have to think about being myself, I was.