Supplemented Capitalism

Francis Martin - Coronado, California

The best politician is one that is full of wisdom and who takes account the arguments of all sides in the political spectrum in order to form public policies, while keeping true to his beliefs. I consider myself to be a liberal Christian; one that is in between the ideologies of social democrats and pure conservatives. My political ideology is a mixture of my faith and that of conservatism. Due to my political ideology, I believe in capitalism supplemented by government in order to protect human rights and their livelihood.

Through advancements in technology and other important aspects of life, the goal of humanity, and society in general, is to survive. The best way to go about achieving such a goal is through free-market capitalism where competition brings about innovation and new ideas. However, when the market is completely left alone, a conservative ideal, issues of class, distribution of wealth, and fundamental human rights become concerns that a society facing such matter must confront. Thus, government, working for the people, must intervene. In President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s Farewell Address speech, he warned about the military-industrial complex. One can extend this conservative president’s argument by saying that corporations and big businesses, by and large, cannot be trusted to operate completely free without regulation and oversight; that human rights must be accounted for; and that livelihoods must be protected.

Although free-market capitalism brings the best out of humanity through competition and innovation, it does not protect individuals who simply get overwhelmed by such competition. The outcome of free-market capitalism is the widening gap within the distribution of wealth; that the lowliest of society, in terms of income, struggle to get by in their daily lives; and that the notion of equal opportunity becomes fictitious. As a Christian, I am taught to love the lowliest in society; I am taught to give to the lowliest in society; and I am taught to protect the lowliest in society. My religion makes me more liberal than most conservatives. My religion teaches me that all children should have free access to education; that healthcare is a right that should be protected; that the elderly should be supported by the youth through social security; and that the lowliest in my society should be protected from poverty.

Christianity teaches me to support and defend fundamental human rights, especially those confirmed by the United Nations in “The Universal Declaration of Human Rights.” True conservatism does not acknowledge fundamental human rights for the reason that the ideology believes that free-market capitalism means the voluntary-making of contracts between individuals and that fundamental human rights are dealt within such contracts. For example, I believe in the fundamental human right of trade unions for the protection of labor interests. However, true conservatism believes that the only interest that should be protected by government is contracts made between individuals and that if a worker wants his interest protected, he should have added that in his contract with his employer. Such belief, however, does not lead to protection of labor interest, which in turn calls for the need of government intervention by means of establishing and upholding fundamental human rights.

My belief that competition within humanity causes advancements, makes me somewhat a conservative. For example, free-market capitalism in America has led the country to being the leader of medical science. However, the status quo does not factor in the fact that although the country is the best in the medical sciences, a huge portion of the population are not medically insured; and if they are, most of them are under-insured. My Christian faith is what allows me to support such measures that aids the lowliest in my society.