I believe in Democracy

Sarah - 01420, Massachusetts
Themes: democracy

The People’s Choice

I believe in democracy. Through legislation and citizen participation I believe that the world’s problems can be solved. Many people loose faith in government but they fail to realize that they hold the power in their hands. I believe that democracy often brings free markets and capitalism with it, which in turn creates wealth and institutions that better society. This is important because I believe that bringing people above the poverty line opens the door to the people so that they may become educated, and truly reach their potential as a citizen. Populist and social movements through out the past has furthered human kinds progression, and civil rights have been strengthened because of democracy. Democracy has had many triumphs, such as the falling of the Berlin wall and elections in Iraq. I know that people have the ability to leave the world better than they found it, using their liberty under democracy. With liberal democracy as a model, the world will continue to progress as a humane society. Soon, fighting for equal rights will be a thing of the past. The electorate needs to take power, use their first amendment rights and do their part to participate in this ever-changing political world. It is imperative that all people come together to voice their interests. All of these differing interests will be what forms a well-rounded society with well-rounded legislation. I believe that democracy thrives when it is confronted with different ideas, as long as each side is willing to compromise. In my own travels, I have had the ability to use my first amendment rights to make change. I’ve voiced concerns about AIG executives to senators. I’ve campaigned to state representatives about higher education, and I’ve been to conferences and rallies about green energy and legislation; all under the umbrella of a liberal democracy.