A Bicycle for Two

Tracy - San Luis Obispo, California

“Craigslist Item Wanted: Tandem bike for adventurous young couple- price negotiable.”

It only took three days for the email to come. A bike in almost-perfect condition, originally $900, offered to us for a mere $400. A bargain, the owner said, for the years of enjoyment soon to come. Sadly out of our budget, but exactly what we were dreaming of, we knew that it was now or never. As a communications major I’ve learned that the ‘college student sympathy card’ can work wonders when negotiating, so after insistent promises to love and cherish every moment with it, I awoke to my inbox filled with the miraculous message, “Ok, we’ll sell it for $250. You guys have fun.”

Victory was ours.

Our excitement was like that of a child’s whose parents agreed to a trip to Disneyland for the first time. We planned a trip to Arroyo Grande to pick it up as soon as we possibly could. This bike was much more than a means for us to get around- it opened the door to an endless sea of possibilities. No town seemed unconquerable with our newest possession and we were itching to see what it could do.

We named it Big Red because of its classy red paint and couldn’t wait to go for a spin. We were nervous on our first ride, like a teen first learning to drive, but it didn’t take long for us to catch on. The wind whirring past our faces streamlined us like a bullet flying through the air. Time whizzed by as we traveled from place to place enjoying the strange looks people gave us when they realized we were stuck together. We were unstoppable. Two wheels, two bodies, two lives, one love. Big Red transformed us from two separate people to one unified existence, a shared passion for life and all it could offer us. To us, Big Red was more than just our newest today, but also our first real investment- a symbol of a future with the two of us together.

I believe in tandem bikes because they prove that I am loved. They remind me that when life gets tough there’s always someone behind pushing me ahead. Life is full of hills and valleys, but Big Red will always be there to remind me that the ride is so much smoother with a friend.