Without Family, You Are Nothing

Tawanda - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe in family. I think without family, you are nothing. You just aren’t there at all. It’s as if you are made of your family and your family depicts what you are, and more importantly, helps find who you are. If your family members play sports, maybe you will too. If they place love and trust upon your shoulders, you are most likely going to do the same. Or even if they take drugs, you’ll see what it does to them, and hopefully, decide to choose a brighter future without drug abuse.

A few days ago I heard about an opium-addicted mother with six children. They lived poorly and had plenty of troubles. The mother took opium to make her happy, to keep her sane. She’d tell her daughter to buy her drugs to make her “happy.” But if no one got her pills, she would hit her children. Her daughter had only patches of hair due to lack of nutrition. One day, when the money ran out, she took her daughter and attempted to sell her. Later, during an interview, the daughter said she would never take drugs because she saw what it did to everyone in her home.

Although I don’t know these people, their exact feelings, and they are across the world from me, I can just sense their fear and pain. My first response after this report was how could this mother do this to her children, her only family? And what’s the outcome of this situation? I had read the newspapers and Time magazine articles providing information about the war and about the sadness it caused everywhere. But I knew that it wasn’t hitting me as hard as families being torn apart across the world.

When I was about six years old, I said that I hated my mom and my dad. I packed my little bag with a small amount of clothes, my Barbies and their clothes. I went outside, took ten steps, and ran back. It took me ten steps to figure out I knew I loved them both, even when I thought they were unfair or mean, with every piece of my heart. I knew I couldn’t live, much less survive without them. They made me who I am today.

In real life people say, “Family comes first.” And not just in movies where they put perfect families on screen and pretend. Struggles exist in families. It’s not about the struggle, but how you work it out and help each other through it. That’s what makes them family.

Lastly, people aren’t taught to love their family. They love their family by choice and not because they are there, but because they are there for you. Anyone who says “I hate you!!!” to anyone in their family, deep down within they can’t deny the feeling of love for them, like I have for mine.

Today I choose family, because this, I believe.