Take the Time

Sabrina - Las Cruces, New Mexico

When I was eleven years old my brothers and I were going to be without any parents. Our mom and dad were going to be incarcerated for a while. Before my parents left, my mom gave my brothers and me two choices: we could either stay with her parents or with my dad’s parents. We picked my mom’s parents because we did not really know my dad’s parents, only when we were younger is when we knew them.

My dad had already had gone to jail a month earlier, and my mom was going to go within a week. When the time came it was a hard time for everyone. My mom served two and a half years. My dad is still there; he is going on four years being in prison. When my mom was released it was already about Christmastime. She called my dad’s parents to see how they had been doing because my grandpa was sick. She could not get a hold of them, but my mom called my dad’s brother ‘Ricky’s’ phone. He answered. My mom heard his voice; it sounded like he had been crying.

She asked him, “What is wrong?” He said that my grandpa had a heart attack and he was in the hospital. I was standing by the door way by my mom’s room trying to listen to what had happened.

The next question she asked him was, “Is he okay?”

I looked at my mom’s eyes; they were beginning to fill with tears. I went into her room and asked her what was wrong? She told me that my grandfather had a really bad heart attack and the doctor had him on life support.

When I heard those words all I could think of was when my mom and dad went to jail. I had a chance to spend time with him and I never got to. Then his funeral came a few days after Christmas. I did not get to go to his funeral because it was in Texas and I was in New Mexico. This is something I could never take back, not spending time with my grandfather. My grandpa was only 62 years old when he died.

I believe that everyone should spend time with their grandparents because one day that person could be gone. I have not able to visit my grandfather’s grave, but soon I will.