In Love With A Dream

Caroline - Bedford, New York

I have loved the water forever; I practically grew up there, in it or, my favorite place, under it. So Christmas day of 2008, I eagerly opened a package, even though I knew what it was. It was the package I had waited an eternity for. I read the papers and sure enough it was the forms for swimming with sharks. Sharks have always been my one true love, I got my first shark book when I was three, and you can guess what happened from then on. The day, March 14th 2009, my thirteenth birthday, I went to swim with sharks; I will call that day my dream day. I believe I can do anything, that anyone can fulfill dreams.

Cool water and blood pulsing fast in a stinging rush of adrenaline. In the skin tight wetsuit, every movement is embedded in skin pressing into my flesh. The people watch intently as I slowly enter the water waiting for us to say the first words. The staring faces of small children as they watch us go under, asking themselves “are they crazy”.

As we enter the frigid water, all though it is 70 degrees. It feels colder because our bodies have heated to accommodate with the growing excitement. The sharks are beautiful. They are glorious, sleek, graceful, and pure. They surround us all, on every side I turn and turn but they are every where, and that’s not bad.

As soon I we are submerged the first words I yell through the regulator were, “Claudia this is AWESOME!!!” Everyone was there my Mom and Dad, my grandma Nanny, grandpa Papa, my sisters Sabrina and Francesca, and best friend Claudia. I could see all of they’re faces, happiness streaked all of them.

The sharks, they were breathtaking, they swam, circling us swimming straight at us then as they were about to hit, they duck under at the last second. The colorful fish swam with them. There were fish of any color you could imagine. Colored from blue and yellow, to a much less bright color of black. The fish swam as if the sharks couldn’t, or wouldn’t eat them.

The eels were sleek and strong, they were powerful dodging in and out of the coral and rocks. And then out of the gloom came the biggest shark of them all. She was a beautiful sand tiger, the mother. Shaped like a torpedo that was built for speed, and aggression. She was ten and a half feet of pure muscle. Nurse sharks swam below hovering just above the sea floor watching for a tasty morsel to swim by.

As the time passed, we stayed under. No one of us wanted to stay there forever more than I did. I had nearly grown up under water, yet the things I saw never ceased to amaze me. We were under that water for 30 minutes; it seemed to warm up as if the excitement could heat it. As we were being pulled up, I pressed toward the bottom of the tank staying there as long as I possibly could. But as I broke the surface the time was over and there went the next group, off to explore the beauty of the water world.

I truly believe that I can do anything, that anyone can do anything. This experience has shown me that. I have learned a lot from swimming with sharks. They are beautiful and sweet. I can do anything I if want to and I want everyone to try and achieve their dreams. It is possible.