The Small Things That Count

Timothy - South Dennis, Massachusetts

The Small Things That Count

I believe it is the small things that count. My dad is an offshore fisherman, and he usually takes 10 to 12 day trips. I don’t get to see him that much as other kids get to see their dad. When I get to see my dad it is usually only for a day or if I’m lucky two days. So I appreciate the small things in life.

My dad is the captain of the f/v Hannah Boden, which is the sister ship to the f/v Andrea Gail that sadly sank in the storm of the century (also known as the perfect storm). My dad is always gone out to sea and devotes his life to caring for his family and his boat. He also takes care of his family as much as he can, and also devotes his life to his family. He fishes for lobster and his newest fishery is Jonah crab. Since lobster has lost his value he has to go off the coast of Virginia to fish for Jonah crab. His catch affects us in a huge way because if he doesn’t bring home a good catch then that means he doesn’t bring home a good paycheck. My dad is one of the hardest working people I’ve ever met. My dad has a very dangerous job and every time I say good bye to him there’s a chance that he might not come back. But as one of the best fishermen out there he would never jeopardize the welfare of himself or his crew or himself.

When I see my dad we don’t usually have enough time to do a lot of things together. But we try to make the best of it. Even doing something as everyday as sitting down and watching a half hour television show, like Seinfeld or the Simpsons. Sometimes we would even go for a ride up the street to the local dock. Ever since I was little, my dad has always loved and drank Pepsi. I have always loved it too. Each time he would return from the sea we would sit down together and have a Pepsi and talk about his trip or how the weather is going to affect his next one. I would always hope that he would stay home for one more day. Even though I dread to see him go back to sea, I try to think about the next time he comes back in.

When I see my dad leave on a trip I always think to myself hopefully he brings home a good catch. But most importantly realizing that if he didn’t he would just want to get back on that big open sea again. He never leaves without having at least one Pepsi with me and talking about the same kind of things like the weather and his catch.

When people talk about going on vacations with their family a lot and doing “big deal” things, I think to myself what my dad and I do. The glass of Pepsi that my dad and I drink is just as important as anything other kids are doing with their parents. So when I say the small things count, all I have to do is think about that glass of Pepsi.