I believe in Skiing

Jessica - Eagle, Colorado
Themes: nature, sports

When I asked my date if he believed in god, all I really expected was a simple yes or no. And maybe this was a topic best fit for date number two or three, but we had come to a halt in conversation. His answer was something that could have came straight from the Editor’s Page of Powder Magazine. “I believe in skiing.” Yeah, the guy did ski for a living and probably spent too much time explaining whatever trick he’d just mastered, but as he continued to explain, my beliefs went from church to the slopes from that moment I couldn’t help but think we’d be going out again.

He made me realize that being that high up on a mountain is the closest you could ever be to heaven and that going that fast is the closest you could come to superhuman powers on your own two feet. The whole time I was finishing my curly fries and being engrossed into an entirely new religion, Skiing is what I believe. My religion is one I can speed up or slow down, turn and twist. It’s a religion that can get you through the blue sky days and the days of bitter cold. A religion where attending my place of worship, simply requires clicking into my bindings. And (this is something unheard of) a religion that accepts every other, every color, every race, every gender, age, gay straight or blue.

Yes, as pricey as this newfound religion may be, it gets me through the good and the bad. This is also a system of beliefs in which those who practice take great lengths to continue. The pain is enough of prayer. Black toes, nasty spills, lack of money, and broken/shattered this that and the others are all just added bonuses serving as the self sacrifice. Waking up too early to stand in line with thirty other hung over “believers”, yeah, that piece serves no purpose to religion at all, but it’s necessary. But the ultimate proof of belief is the little creaking noise your knees will with every movement of your legs. Baptism is a reoccurring event that can occur on any given Sunday, when that weather report says Powder.

To me, church on Sunday’s, Bible before bed, Devotions, etc. etc. just aren’t the ticket, it’s the turns I can make, the places I can go, and the frozen water under my feet. I believe in skiing.