Sports Sadness

Jonah - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe in sadness. The kind of sadness that comes from sports. I play all kinds of sports like baseball, basketball, and football. Sports are fun to play, but they’re not always fun! It’s not fun if your team always loses; it’s not fun when your team is about to win a hard-fought game but at the last second the other team tosses up a prayer, makes it, and they win! This to me is called “Sports Sadness!”

This is the sadness that spreads throughout your body like a cancer, like when you lose a close game. Like when your basketball team is in the playoffs and your team is fighting to stay alive. Because if your team loses, you’re out and your team goes home with nothing but sadness.

I’ve had this kind of experience before in my life. I was on a basketball team for my middle school, the Cougars. We were in the playoffs; it was double elimination and we lost the first game but won the second. If we lost the next game we would be eliminated. Our third game was against a good team who beat us in the regular season. We wanted revenge!

The score was close the whole game; we were beating the other team by two points! They had the ball with only four seconds; all we had to do was play tight on them so they wouldn’t be able to throw a prayer up! The other team threw the ball into play and raced up court. I could see the game clock counting down…4…3…2…1. At the last second the other team’s player shot a three-pointer! It rolled around in the basket and finally went in!

The other team jumped off their bench and hugged each other because they won! My team was shocked. We were confused; half of us were crying and half of us were disappointed! You could see the sadness in our faces; our watery eyes gave that away. We left that gym with defeat on our minds. We all knew it was just a game. We just kept telling ourselves that. After a few hours we knew it wouldn’t be the end of the world just because we lost…it was just a game. But we knew we could have done better.

Sports Sadness to me is like when you fall down and scrape your knees, it only stings for a little while. If you forget about the stinging and pain you feel, then they don’t hurt anymore. Sometimes if that doesn’t work, you just have to wait a few days, or even weeks, until the “I should’ve done this; I should’ve done that” thought leaves your mind! That’s just how Sports Sadness goes sometimes.