He’s Coming Home

Savannah - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: family, love

I believe in the song “I’m Already There” by Lonestar. To me it’s about a husband and father who’s a truck driver and calls his family one night. He talks to his wife then speaks to one of his children who asks when he’s coming home. He says, “I’m already there.”

This song reminds me of every time my dad is gone delivering a load or picking up one. He calls every night to check on me, my two sisters, and my mom. Whenever I answer the first thing I ask is, “When are you coming home?” But unlike the song, he usually says, “I don’t know.”

When my dad isn’t home during the weekend it always makes it boring. I like it whenever my grandpa goes with my dad because he gets home earlier, and I know he won’t fall asleep driving. Sometimes when my dad is gone he buys me, my sisters, and my mom something, whether it’s just candy, or jewelry, we always love everything he chooses for each of us.

My dad has been a tuck driver for a long time. He was driving a truck before my oldest sister Melissa was born, and she is seventeen. Before Melissa was born, my dad hurt his back in California and he was put in a wheelchair. But now he is healed.

My dad has missed my sisters and me growing up. You can tell he was more on the road when I was a baby because there are a lot more pictures of my sisters than me.

When he is gone I miss it when he wakes me and my sisters up because it is always funny. First he turns on our lights, and then he starts to sing to us. I hate it when my dad is gone, but even when he is home, he gets on my last nerves.

One time my dad was away for about one month. I was in 4th grade and I missed my dad a lot. My grandpa (my mom’s dad) picked me up from school. When we walked out to his car I started to cry because I missed my dad and I really wanted for him to be home. Normally my grandpa would leave before my mom would get home but this time he didn’t. When my mom returned from work, he told her that I was crying.

My mom asked me why. I told her I was crying because I missed my dad. I called him and started to cry when I told him I missed him. He said he would be home soon. And he was. He returned in a few days. I don’t really remember when he got back because all I remember was I wanted him to be home with me.

I know every time my dad is away he would rather be home with his wife and crazy daughters. That is why I believe in the song “I’m Already There.”