Loss One Gain One

Diana - Pawtucket, Rhode Island

I love being around Kaysie. She makes me feel like I’m not alone and I make sure I do the same. I believe in friendship.

A friend to me is an important relationship. I have to have trust, loyalty, conversation, support, and love. We trust each other enough to say how we are feeling to one another whether it’s good or bad. We joke around and make things fun as well as make fun of things. I hate to see her feeling bad, and that’s why I love her enough to fight whoever or whatever causes her pain knowing she’ll do the same.

Alex and Marie were my brother’s best friends. Both would come to my house at least four times a week. I have cooked for them; played games like monster and tag, and I have even put them in time out if they needed to cool down. They had so much love towards me because their mom would punish them and treat them with no love. I was their second mom.

Alex developed a fever on March 5th, 2009 and was sent to the hospital the on the seventh. He was throwing up and coughing so much. His body couldn’t handle what was happening and his heart stopped. The doctors brought him back to life a couple times but his lungs filled with blood and there was nothing left to do but leave him there lifeless.

When I found out what happened I was with Kaysie. “Maybe it’s for the better, his mom isn’t the best person to live with, and you know it. God has plans for him.” That was what she told me and all I can think of was his face every time he saw me. Later in the week she went to the funeral with me and held me the whole time. Having Kaysie by my side made me feel like he was still alive.

Many people go through pain and have no one to share it with to make them feel better. I’m thankful to have found someone to share everything with. She helps me think in a positive way and keeps me on track. I never would have been brave enough to go through Alex’s death if it wasn’t for her. Friendship is about trust, loyalty, having fun, and most important it’s about supporting someone through the good and the bad.